One of our favorite family vacations when my daughters were young was a camping trip to the Sparta-Elroy bike trail. This 32-mile trail is built on an abandoned railroad bed and winds through rural scenery with three tunnels. Two of the tunnels are 0.25 miles long, but the third tunnel is longer at 0.75 miles long.
Tunnel 3 is unlit and water drips down the walls and pools at your feet. The temperature is a cool 50-60 degrees, regardless of the outside temperature. Before entering Tunnel Number 3 we would get off our bikes and tie the babies into the mounted bike chair behind our seat. (We didn’t have a baby bike trailer at that time and since the girls usually fell asleep during our walk in the dark, they needed to be strapped in.) We entered the tunnel keeping our eyes on that tiny dot of light 10 football fields beyond.
The tunnel was amazing, but it was always great to break out into the light of the beautiful summer day.
The Covid-19 Tunnel
I had a revelation this week.
I realized that I am feeling like I am in the ¾ of a mile tunnel again, only this time I don’t see the light at the end.
I keep walking; I am staying productive; overall my spirit is positive; but I haven’t caught a glimpse of any light.
I believe God wants to give me a new picture with renewed vision and purpose.
But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until the full day.Proverbs 4:18 NASB
My path is filled with light because it is filled with God. His Word declares that as I walk with Him it gets brighter and brighter.
Before I get to all the wonderful verses about “light” in the Bible, let me tell you what God showed me about my tunnel with no light at the end.
Spiritually Dull and Sluggish
Hebrews 5:11 and 6:12 describe people who are spiritually dull and sluggish.
We have much to say about this topic although it is difficult to explain because you have become too dull and sluggish to understand.Hebrews 5: 11 TPT
Then you will not become spiritually dull and indifferent. Instead, you will follow the example of those who are going to inherit God’s promises because of their faith and endurance.Hebrews 6:12 NLT
This section of Hebrews is a call to spiritual growth, but the writer is reluctant to teach deeper spiritual truths because he recognizes that his audience is lethargic. They are still walking with God, but they have lost their speed and momentum.
These people once had intense conviction, but now their zeal has dissipated and has been replaced with sluggishness.
Sluggish has nothing to do with the amount of energy we put out to do a job. Instead it speaks of an inward condition. Even though it may look like we are going somewhere on the outside, inwardly we’re stuck in “neutral” and going nowhere.Rick Renner
In my tunnel I was working hard: cooking, cleaning, writing, caring, zoom meetings, gardening, etc. But without a focus on a light in front of me (and around me), I had a foreboding sense of gloom.
Lord, forgive me of any hint of sluggishness operating in my life. I repent and deliberately turn away from the spiritual dullness that creeps into my life with my tunnel vision.
Lord, give me fresh revelation of who you are as the “Light of the World”. Show me the lighted path that I walk in every day.
I throw away my picture of a tunnel during this isolation season and receive the new image of the light grower brighter and brighter.
My heart declares the truth in each of these verses:
- Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. Psalm 119:105 NLT
- So, don’t hide your light! Let it shine brightly before others, so that the commendable things you do will shine as light upon them, and then they will give their praise to your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16 TPT
- The Lord is my revelation-light to guide me along the way; he’s the source of my salvation to defend me every day. I fear no one! I’ll never turn back and run from you, Lord; surround and protect me. Psalm 27:1 TPT
- Your eye is like a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is filled with light. But when it is unhealthy, your body is filled with darkness. Make sure that the light you think you have is not actually darkness. Luke 11:34-35 NLT
Questions to ask yourself
1. Can you detect any spiritual neutrality in your life?
2. Even though you may be busy, does your heart feel a dullness and gloom?
3. What steps are you taking to reverse this?
Remember Jesus is the light of the world. When you follow him, he said you will not walk in darkness because you will have the light that leads to life. (John 8:12)