If you could build one new habit, what would it be?
Seriously reviewing your habits is a profitable activity. 40% of your behavior is habit-based. From what you wear, to what you eat, to what route you drive to work, most of your decision-making processes are habit-driven.
By making small changes in your habits, you can create big results.
Some habits are more important than others.
Some habits have the power to transform your life.
Charles Duhigg, author of The Power of Habit calls these keystone habits. “Keystone habits spark chain reactions that help other good habits take hold.” Keystone habits are foundational behaviors that you can build on to create a cluster of good habits. Once you establish these core habits you will see a domino effect that will start a cascade of new and positive changes in your life. Adding these keystone habits to your life will actually streamline all of the other goals you want to achieve.
If you search for articles on keystone habits you will find a list that is repeated by each author. Don’t re-invent the wheel! Why not choose your keystone habits from this list of 10 proven ones?
- Plan your day. Either the night before or in the morning, project into the future and ask “What have I accomplished today?”
- A steady morning routine. Regular rituals can bring consistency and organization to your day.
- Exercise. Promotes better eating habits, increases production, relieves stress, improves mood and confidence, and helps you sleep.
- Make your bed. If you do, you are more likely to enjoy your job, own a home, exercise regularly, and feel well rested. (Psychology Today)
- Track what you eat. You will lose twice as much weight as those who don’t.
- Practice daily gratitude. This is one of the most life-changing emotions you can experience.
- Journal. You will start to notice the smaller but important things God is doing in your life.
- Regular family dinners. Eating together has major emotional and behavioral impact for everyone around the table.
- Having strong willpower. Self-discipline outperforms IQ.
- God’s Word and Meditation – I am saving the BEST for last! Keep reading. . .
Transformation that Really Matters
You could be practicing the first 9 keystone habits listed above and still miss the most important one in life – becoming like Jesus.
So we are convinced that every detail of our lives is continually woven together to fit into God’s perfect plan of bringing good into our lives, for we are his lovers who have been called to fulfill his designed purpose. For he knew all about us before we were born and he destined us from the beginning to share the likeness of his Son. (Romans 8:28-29 TPT)
A transformed life occurs when we allow God’s Word to settle deep in our hearts and we cooperate with the work of the Holy Spirit.
This is my heart behind the Reading Plans I write. I want keystone habit #10 to be the KEYSTONE habit above all others in your life. Pick up your Bible everyday. Take your time. Meditate on His Word. Listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit.
The ripple effect of this keystone habit would take pages to describe.
Start with Keystone Habit #10 and then choose a few others as you think this years’ goals and the healthy changes you want to make in your life.
Let me cheer you forward!
Join my Bible Reading Plans Wisdom for Ordinary Days. During each plan we will implement the Transformation Tracker – a worksheet to help you make changes in your habits during 4 key times of your day.