There is a keystone habit that will dramatically impact your life according to a recent study by the Center for Bible Engagement. Reading your Bible four times per week will improve your life in at least 8 ways.
40,000 people were polled from the general population of the United States, ages 8 to 80. The results are significant.
- If you read your Bible 1 time per week (and this includes in church when the pastor reads the Scripture) there is a negligible impact in your life.
- If you read your Bible 2 or 3 times per week – same results.
- But if you read your Bible 4 times per week the impact is dramatic; the result spike in significant, positive life changes.
Some habits are more important than others.
Some habits have the power to transform your life. These are called keystone habits.
Keystone habits spark chain reactions that help other good habits take hold.Charles Duhigg, The Power of Habit
Reading your Bible 4 times per week is a keystone habit and will have a domino affect that will lead to positive changes in your life.
Domino affect that leads to positive life change
According to the study, people experience these dramatic changes when they consistently read their Bible 4 times per week:
- Loneliness drops 40%
- Anger drops 32%
- Bitterness in relationships drops 40%
- Alcoholism drops 57%
- Viewing pornography drops 61%
- Feeling spiritually stagnant drops 60%
- Sharing your faith increases 200%
- Disciplining others increases 230%
Read, Meditate, Listen
I believe the key to positive life-change is not only reading your Bible at least 4 times per week, but also allowing time and space to meditate and listen to what God is teaching you through his Word.
Too often I have used a devotional as a check-box so I could be “proud” that I read something spiritual that day. It ended up in one ear, out the other and completely forgotten by noon.
For the Word of God to stick in my heart and mind I need repetition, meditation, reading, writing, and speaking.
How do you best allow God’s Word to sink into your heart and mind?
Last year I decided to do something different. I started writing FREE Bible Reading Plans with one verse per week. Boring – you might say – but it isn’t! Meditating, and repeating one key verse a week allows time for the Word to sink deep into my heart and mind.
I want to invite you to join the Reading Plan tribe. Check out this page on my website that describes the Reading Plans and gives you a calendar for the year.